About the library
The library (room 309) is open to institute members and guests around the clock.
The librarian, Simone Kronenwett, may be reached Monday and Wesnesday between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm.
The reading room (309) offers
- Monographs, catalogues and atlases
- Computer books, dictionaries and reference books
- Theses, dissertations, habilitations
- Conference proceedings
- PC for library catalogue searches
The archive is located on the first floor (rooms 240/241). It contains
- Older issues or astronomical journals where MPIA's subscription has lapsed
- MPG reports and announcements
- Collections of annual reports and special publications of astronomical societies and institutes
The MPIA library and archive are available to all employees and guests of the institute and may be accessed at any time. In order to maintain this open access, it is necessary that the following rules be respected:
- New books and journals that are laid out in the library’s anteroom may not be borrowed
- Borrowed books or journals must always be indicated and displayed by a legible substitute (to be found at the column in the reading room).
- Borrowed books or journals are to be kept, easily visible, at the workplace. They are not to be taken home or on business trips.
- Books and journals may be borrowed for a period of 4 weeks, and the borrower is responsible for them until they are returned.
- Individuals not affiliated with the institute may use the library, but the loan of books is only possible in exceptional cases and with the explicit authorization of the librarian.
Rules for using electronic journals
- Use of the files is restricted to purposes of research and education only
- Full text articles may be printed or saved solely for private use or for research purposes
- Systematic download of articles or search results is prohibited
- It is not allowed to pass articles (electronically or printed) to a third party
The library committee is responsible for the contents of the library and archive as well as for new purchases.