Living in Heidelberg
Heidelberg is one of the most popular cities in Germany. Here, we have some assembled some information for you - practical as well as general - about living here.
Heidelberg is a family-friendly city. We list some of its daycare/education institutions below; MPG employees can also take advantage of the family consultancy service "Besser betreut" ("Better care") free of charge:Besser betreut. MPIA is a member of "Bündnis für Familie" (literally the "Alliance for the family"). In collaboration with the University of Heidelberg, the German Cancer Research Institute (DKFZ), the University of Education, the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), the SRH Holding, the University of Mannheim and further Max-Planck institutes in Heidelberg , the Dual Career Service helps you to get in touch with potential employers in Heidelberg and therefore provides support if your partner searches for suitable jobs:
Bündnis für Familie
- Daycare offers for children (0-3 years) - Search engine for daycare placements by borough (Stadtteil)
- List of offers by borough (Stadtteil)
- International daycare facilities
- MPIA cooperates with various daycare facilities. Please contact the Personnel Department or International Office for more information.
After 4th grade, pupils in Germany continue to separate schools, based on their academic ability: Hauptschule, Realschule, or Gymnasium. Schools in Heidelberg:
- List of primary schools (according to district: children are assigned to schools based on their district of residence)
- List of Hauptschulen und Werkrealschulen
- List of Realschulen
- List of Gymnasium
- List of private schools
MPIA cooperates with the Heidelberg Internation School (HIS). Please contact the International office if you are interested. F+U elementary school is a good option if the child does not speak German.