Living in Heidelberg
Heidelberg is one of the most popular cities in Germany. Here, we have some assembled some information for you - practical as well as general - about living here.
It is highly recommended that you choose a general practitioner as your family practitioner ("Hausarzt"), who would then be available for check-ups, for emergency consultations and for referrals to specialists. Best practice for finding a good doctor is to ask your colleagues for a recommendation.
If you have public health insurance (cf. our page on health insurance), it is mandatory that you see your family practitioner (or any other general practitioner) to obtain a specialist referral. If you have to consult a doctor, you may ask your colleagues for a recommendation or have a look here:
- English speaking doctors in Baden-Wurttemberg
- List of doctors in HD
- Gelbe Seiten (click "Branchen" on the left to find a specific specialty, and "Stadtteil" to search in a specific borrow)
Usually, you will need to make an appointment with the doctor's office, and present your health insurance card on the day of your visit. If you urgently need help outside the regular opening hours, or if you need to go to a hospital, please have a look here:
Useful emergency phone numbers
- General emergencies, police: 110
- Medical emergencies and fire: 112
- Poison center for Baden-Wurttemberg: 0761 - 19 240