Equal opportunity policies are an integral part of the guiding principles of the MPIA in which all employees, regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic/cultural/social origin, religion, ideology, age, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity receive the same respect and enjoy the same opportunities.
Our goal is to provide outstanding research conditions by creating an environment that attracts and retains the best employees for new, challenging tasks at both a national and an international level. We recognize that to this day, female scientists are underrepresented in science and we are working to create a gender-balanced institute through a number of measures. The MPIA is also seeking to increase the number of women in management positions.
The equal opportunity policies at the MPIA represent a practical contribution towards creating a working environment that meets the needs of different life situations of its employees.
Equal opportunity measures at the MPIA
- Equal opportunity representative
The gender equality officers at the MPIA are involved in all issues affecting the equal treatment of employees based on gender. >> more
Mentoring is a successful instrument for supporting young scientific professionals. Internal institute advisory services and MPG-wide networks are available to MPIA scientists. >> more
- Reconciling career and family
Providing support to scientists during their family and career planning phase is an important building block towards improving equal opportunity. There are numerous offers at the MPIA that are specifically intended to help reconcile professional work demands with family obligations. >> more
Our internal institution guidelines were developed to prevent discrimination in the hiring process. They contain concrete rules that are aimed at preventing discrimination and countering biases.
- Works agreement concerning cooperative behavior at the MPIA
The works agreement concerning cooperative behavior at the MPIA contains a commitment to fair and respectful interaction with each other in all areas and at all levels of cooperation at the institute.
Support programs and career development for female scientists
- Brigitte Schlieben-Lange-Programme
- Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard
- Gleichstellungskommission der Fakultät für Physik und Astronomie der Universität Heidelberg
- Gleichstellungsbüro der Universität Heidelberg
- Overview: www.pakt-fuer-forschung.de/index.php?id=299
- Minerva FemmeNet/ Minerva Fast Track
- Career promotion: The MPS offers selected female scientists (postdocs) the opportunity to take part in the seminar program "Sign up! Careerbuilding"