Shopping for food - near by stores
Safeway – large grocery store with everything, open 24/7
- Located at 1940 E. Broadway Blvd, on the south side of Broadway at Campbell
- "Max Planok" has a Safeway Club Account that entitles you to the membership discount prices. At the checkout, simply enter the telephone number of the house as the member number ("swipe card"): 520 867-6012
Food City – nearest big grocery store to the house, open daily 7AM-11PM
- Located at 3030 E. 22nd St., just south of 22nd St on the west side of Tucson Blvd.
- Emphasis on Mexican specialty foods
- Very good prices, full butcher counter
Rincon Market – small grocery store, exclusive selection with higher prices
- Located at Tucson & 6th St on the north side of 6th
- Fresh fish counter and fresh meat counter (butcher), deli counter with cold cuts and salads
- Self-serve restaurant for breakfast and lunch with grill counter (hamburgers, omlettes to order)
- Wine selection
Trader Joe's – large grocery store with mostly food, all private-label
- Located at 1899 E. Limberlost at Campbell Avenue, on the east side of Campbell
- Vegetable/fruit section is generally very small!
- Wide selection of inexpensive but drinkable wines
- Decent dairy products
- Good selection of pre-packaged cold cuts, cheeses, etc.
Whole Foods – large grocery store with organic products, vitamins
- Located at 3360 E. Speedway between Country Club and Alvernon, on the south side of Speedway
- Well-selected fresh produce area
- Bulk goods (nuts & nut butters, spices, grains & legumes, cereals, snacks)
- Vitamins & "natural" toiletries
Mexican specialities: "El Herradero Carniceria Y Panaderia" (Butcher & Bakery)
- Located at 4211 E. 22nd St, west of S. Columbus Blvd. on the north side of 22nd St. map
- Click Here for references and comments
- Home made Chorizo and Carne (or Pollo) Asada for you to cook/grill at home
- Fresh cuts and marinated meats
- Lots of Mexican foods including salsas, chiles, corn products and packaged delicacies
- Traditional and seasonal breads and bakery treats
- Brush up your Spanish before you go
- Park Place Mall – 5870 E. Broadway Blvd./ department stores and specialty shops
- Best Buy Tucson – 575 E Wetmore Rd, Tucson, AZ 85705
- Best Buy East Tucson – 6025 E Broadway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85711
Restaurants & cafes
- El Charro (downtown, 311 N. Court) – excellent basic Sonoran-style Mexican food. Casual. A Tucson original!
- Cafe Poca Cosa (downtown, 110 E. Pennington) – outstanding Guadalajara-style Mexican food. Upscale. Zagat-rated. Hard to get reservations!
- El Parador (within walking distance, 2744 E. Broadway) – another Tucson tradition, typical Sonoran-style food, tropical Mexican ambience
Other kinds of food
- Beyond Bread (north of the University, 3026 N. Campbell Ave) - restaurant with sandwiches, soups, coffee AND they also bake the best fresh bread in Tucson
- Feast (midtown, 3719 E. Speedway) - lunch and dinner, always something new, good wine selection
Pubs - lots of them between Euclid and Park on University Avenue!
- Gentle Ben's (865 E. University Boulevard), a microbrewery serving their own beers and hamburgers, other pub fare
- 1702 (University, 1702 E. Speedway) - a student hangout, over 70 unusual beers with a wide variety on tap, pizza and salads
- Romeel Dave's weblink of restaurants featuring a long list of restaurants sorted by style food, with price ranges and commentaries! Who needs Zagat?
Places of interest & tourist attractions
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum -- world-class museum-zoo hybrid. Learn about the plants and animals of the Sonoran Desert. Good for half a day of education and fun.
- Pima Air Musuem -- for aviation buffs
- San Xavier del Bac Mission, the white dove of the desert -- Tucson's Baroque church!
- Biosphere 2 -- North America's largest terrarium
- Old Tucson studios -- Movie studio with attractions for fans of old "Westerns"