Before you travel to Heidelberg

Here are a few issues you need to address before making your way to Heidelberg.

To pre-arrange for (temporary or long-term) accomodation, have a look at our Accommodation pages; for information on how to get to Heidelberg and, specifically, to MPIA, please see our pages Directions to MPIA.


Before organzing your travel to Heidelberg, please make sure whether or not you need an entry visa to enter the country.

Visa requirements depend on your citizenship and on the purpose of your visit. Visa are issued by German embassies and consulates worldwide. You can find all pertinent information on the web pages of Germany's Federal Foreign Office:

Federal Foreign Office: Visa regulations

General guidelines

Citizens from the Member States of the European Union (EU), Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein do not require an entry visa.

Nationals from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, United Kingdom and the USA can enter without entry visa provided they are a stipendholder but have to apply for a residence permit within 90 days. Staff with work contract do need an entry visa.

National visa: student visa (§ 16b), internship visa (§15), blue card EU (§ 18b), research visa (§ 18d) — for PhD students and researchers; makes entry, residence and mobility within the European Union easier).

Schengen visa: for tourists, valid for less than 3 months and cannot be changed.

Other Interesting Articles

Go to Editor View