Before you travel to Heidelberg

Here are a few issues you need to address before making your way to Heidelberg.

Health insurance

In Germany, health insurance is a legal requirement for all researchers and accompanying family members. To obtain a visa for Germany or a residence permit, you have to show proof of sufficient health insurance coverage.

Please make sure that you do have health insurance that is valid in Germany and covers your travel and at least your starting period here in Heidelberg. Accidents, medical treatment and stays in hospitals all need to be covered.

Please carefully check with your national health insurance whether it meets the requirements for Germany: if yes, you will get a corresponding certificate of insurance; if no: please take out a travel insurance. During the first days after your arrival you will then have to take out a German health insurance which covers you for the entire period of your stay.

Please note: If there is an insurance agreement between your country and Germany or the EU rules apply, you can sometimes also transfer your health insurance. If you have some current health problems, you should undergo all necessary check-ups in your home country before travelling and bring along sufficient amounts of prescription medicine.

There are 2 types of health insurance in Germany: private and state insurance.

Which one you choose depends on whether you will be working in Germany on the basis of a fellowship or an employment contract. If you are coming to Heidelberg on a fellowship or are financing your stay privately, you will have to take out private insurance. If you have an employment contract, you are required to take out state insurance - unless your annual salary regularly exceeds a certain limit, that is, in which case you are free to choose beween a state health scheme and private health insurance.

Other Interesting Articles

Go to Editor View